Monday, February 16, 2009

No Man's Land

The first act of Crowmaker is in the no man's land somewhere between really rough first draft and really finished final draft which I call, in very broad terms, second draft. This should not be misunderstood to mean that I wrote it and then revised it once, meaning this is the actual second draft. It just means it's not the first draft and it's not the last one.

A very vivid series of images spawned over the weekend that seem to be coalescing into a story. This one feels like a flash. I jotted down a few notes about it, but mostly I'm just letting it hang around until it's ready to present itself more clearly.

On slate for the rest of the week, writing-wise, is dragging out act 2 of Crowmaker and seeing if I can start piecing it together into something that makes sense. I think the main pieces are there. I just need to shake out the little stuff that doesn't belong and add some little stuff that does belong and wash the dirt off the big pieces that need to stay. Easy for me to say.

In the meantime, I spent the morning filling in at the school's extended care. My sinuses now feel burn-y and my throat feels itchy, and I really hope a full-blown cold is not en route.

No comments: