Wednesday, December 9, 2009

It's the moment of truth and the moment to lie

All through school, science was my biggest challenge. Language arts? Rock. Math? Accounting? Bring on the puzzles and rules and let me at it. History? Hey, look. I get to read stories! But science, for reasons I have never fathomed, would just never stick. I could memorize facts long enough to get through tests and classes, but nothing ever really made sense to me in the same way that other information did. (OK. Probably I'm this way with math, too. I was just able to memorize the rules enough that I can fake a good understanding of it. I think.) I have vivid memories of my college buddy Dan helping me get through college biology by making up stories about cells and school buses and other bizarre and amusing things. (He also cut up the pig and let me just take the notes. And drove me home through a near-blizzard one weekend. And uh, there may have been some nerf gun fights at some point, too. He was a pretty cool friend.)

Anyhow. Here I am in the middle of re-outlining and doing additional research and fleshing out of "facts" for my historical fantasy fictional world. And suddenly I am up to my eyeballs in science. And not just science, but fake science that I somehow need to make believable. So if you are reading this, and you are a science-minded person, and I know about it... Be ready. The "what if" emails will be coming soon.

In other news, it looks like a rather blustery day. (Youtube alert!)

1 comment:

Sean said...

I look to Star Trek for my hooky science facts. For example you take the hyper-cala-mawutzus and wrap a warp field around it while adjusting the heisenberg compensator to allow for phase shift differential and you dip the cone in to the plasma jet and wait five seconds before pulling out your first sci-fi snow cone.

Just add the flavoring of choice after and your golden! However, if your looking for more realistic science then I'm most likely the guy not to listen to. ;)