Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A million lives

From Robert R. McCammon's Boy's Life:

"I'd like to be everybody in the world," I said. "I'd like to live a
million times."

At its heart, I think that's what draws me to things like writing and roleplaying and reading--maybe that's what it is that calls all of us. Life is like a pick-your-path book, but you only get to play through it once. There's no going back and re-choosing and seeing how it ends if you go left instead of right back there at the fork. But when we tap into our imaginations and read about other lives, real or fictional, or create characters of our own, either alike or different from us, we get to explore those unchosen paths. And more, because we get to explore roads that were never offered to us--or inflicted upon us--in our lifetime.

I did no writing whatsoever over the weekend or yesterday, but I'm feeling much less fuzzy and have managed to get almost 1,000 words so far today. Back to Crowmaker this week, then shift focus back to "Wings" and get it finalized and mailed out next week.

Summer lesson #1: The kids are no longer eating school hot lunch every day. Buy twice as much of everything as you did during the school year. At least.

No comments: